Have your event listing featured at the end of a Movement Sports article! UPGRADE today!
- This event has passed.
September 17, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 5:00 pm EDT$195 - $285
Are you interested in a race that will one minute leave you gasping for breath on a steep climb and the next minute leave you gasping in awe at a stunning vista? Would you like a race where there are challenges beyond just how fast you can go or what place you can finish? Would you like to stake your claim to triathlon immortality and earn a personalized engraved brick laid in the road of the steepest climb in all of triathlon? Are you frustrated with drafting packs and bland, uninspiring courses at mediocre venues? Take a sneak peak at some 2013 race footage HERE.
Deep Creek Lake and the pristine, rugged Allegheny Mountains of western Maryland, provide a venue of unmatched beauty and stunning scenery, and feature two courses that will certainly bring out the true “Savage” in all who come to conquer, from the competitive Ironman racer to the leisurely back-of-the-pack or novice participant. Whether swimming in the crystal clear Deep Creek Lake, riding the smooth, remote, and challenging roads of Garrett County, or running on Deep Creek State Park trails and the surrounding lakeside roads, the SavageMan Triathlon Festival races will challenge and awe every participant. If such a triathlon event appeals to you then you will love the SavageMan Triathlon Festival.
The SavageMan 70.0 Triathlon is the flagship event of the SavageMan Triathlon Festival and it has already established legendary status after just it’s inaugural year. There are many aspects that make this race a truly unique and special event:
- The spectacular race venue and extraordinarily challenging course leave no doubters to the claim of “World’s Most Savage and Most Beautiful Triathlon”.
- The Westernport Wall and the Westernport Wall Block Party is an experience unique to triathlon with a 31% grade lined with screaming, cowbell-ringing crazed spectators.
- Bus Tickets for your family & friends to go to the Wall from the race site can be purchased either in the VTSMTS online store HERE or at packet pick up! (This is a round trip bus ticket to the Westernport Wall)(The police do not recommend driving to the Westernport Wall)
- The crossing of the Eastern Continental Divide at Big Savage Mountain, a 7.2 mile, 1950′ elevation gain ascent with multiple, extended stretches approaching 20% is, without doubt, the most Savage climb in all of triathlon. How will you compare to Philip Grave’s record ascent of 30:32?
- SavageMan 70.0 Primes: Fastest Overall Swim $100, Fastest Overall Bike $100, Fastest Overall Run $100 (must complete the entire event to be eligible)
- SavageMan 70.0 Overall Prize Money: 1st – $500, 2nd – $400, 3rd – $300 (M/F)
- To receive overall prize purse money, performance must be within 10% of the existing overall course record.
- For males, 4:29:38 + 10% = 4:56:36
- For females, 4:56:41 + 10% = 5:26:21
- How many opportunities do you have to be permanently immortalized in triathlon history? All athletes who successfully make it up the Westernport Wall cleanly will have a brick engraved with their name laid into the Wall for future Savages to ride over and fall onto! (Note: Relay teams do not get bricks, sorry)
- This event features a Finisher’s Tri-Blend Crew Style T-shirts(Shirts will be given out at the finish Line), Custom Race Socks, Finisher’s Medals, Professional DJ, Bounce House and a post race meal.
- AQUA BIKE Category is available for Men & Women! To register for the Aqua Bike category you will find it as a category of the Triathlon!
- Water Temperature: The water is expected to be in the mid to upper 60’s.
- Wetsuit Rental: You can rent a wetsuit from Transition Tri by clicking HERE. These are shipped to you and can be returned at the race site.
This event features a Tri-Blend Crew Style T-shirts, Custom Race Socks, Finisher’s Medals, Professional DJ, Bounce House and a post race meal.
Cut Off Times:
All athletes must complete this race within the 9 hour time limit. Cumulative cut off times for the individual disciplines are as follows:
Swim: 1 hour and 15 Minutes
Bike: 6 Hours
Run: 7.5 hours (lap 1), 9 hours total.
Westernport Wall Rules: HERE
Killer Miller Cut Off: If an athlete has not summited the Killer Miller aid station 5 hours into the race (mile 39), they will not be allowed to continue the race and will be driven back to the race site. No exceptions.
Race management and medical personnel reserve the right to pull any athlete from the course if it appears that they are not sufficiently trained to complete the remainder of the course in the allotted time and in a safe manner.
The Chesapeake Bay Foundation is a watershed protection agency that fights to keep the water we swim in clean. Please consider making a donation to the Chesapeake Bay Foundation during the registration process.
The Special Operations Warrior Foundation provides full scholarship grants and educational and family counseling to the surviving children of special operations personnel who die in operational or training missions and immediate financial assistance to severely wounded special operations personnel and their families. Please consider making a donation during the registration process. You can also make a donation via their website by clicking HERE.
Chessie Photos will be attending this event capturing images throughout the race course.
Athletes will receive a customized email after the race with automated links to find your images. You may also go directly to their website to review their custom products, and purchase your photos from this and other Series Events.
Chessie Photo | firstname.lastname@example.org